Pay-per-click is a kind of digital advertising and search engine marketing (SEM) that involves an advertiser spending when their ad is clicked on by a user. This, in turn. leads traffic to the website of the advertiser. Promoters then set the price they want to pay in order to get someone to click on an ad.

PPC for startups or small business PPC services are often mistaken as being incredibly pricey. In truth, the proper PPC ad strategy will lead to a whole new clientele and improvement in profits. While there are a number of search engines available today, 88% of the search traffic online is accounted for by Google. The remaining 12% are then handled by Yahoo, Bing, and other channels.

Small Business Advertising and Marketing

The intricacies of PPC marketing for small businesses are vital. Digital marketers understand that Google’s pay-per-click advertising model is the most effective one. When it comes to competing with companies that are more prominent, big budgets and digital marketing departments, it can be very tough for small businesses to service.

Small Business PPC Advertising

There are plenty of ways to go about small business advertising using PPC. Let’s explore some of the best practices to make use of below:

1. Have Evident Calls to Action

The call to action or CTA has to be as clear as possible. PPC ads usually don’t have them, which makes the whole ad unable to live up to its full potential. A good rule of thumb is not to keep the prospect thinking too hard about the next step.

2. Place a Limit on the Budget

Startups or small businesses should take things slowly and not use all their money in a single day 

While it can be tempting to go all out for a strong start, small businesses or startups should take things slow. The last thing anyone would want is to blow an entire budget in one day when starting a pay-per-click marketing campaign. A proven, profitable, and successful campaign will generate leads, and once a small business has invested money in an effective PPC strategy, it can slowly increase its budget.

3. Select a Campaign Type

It’s important for business owners to choose their campaign type by selecting varying ads. The options include, but are not limited to:

  • Display ads – With this in place, image- or text-based ads are easily laid out on external websites. Display ads can be bought.
  • Google Shopping – In this case, ads like an image paired with a brief product description are placed on a SERP in a carousel, rooted in target keywords.
  • Search ads – These are text ads which can be found on top of SERPs (search engine results pages).
  • Social ads – As the name suggests, these can be found on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and more.


Pay-per-click is a fantastic means of search engine marketing and digital advertising. Contrary to popular belief, it’s a worthy investment for small businesses or startups. Key tips include limiting the budget and selecting a campaign type from the get-go.

In need of help from the best PPC management expert? Reach out to Pay Per Click Authority today! We’ve been specializing in small business PPC management for over a decade.